The most recognised building on earth; the most 'must-see' destination on earth; the highest number of booking reservations, ahead of the Vatican, the Statue of Liberty, the Louvre, and the Eiffel Tower. Quite a list, and one that equates to over 7 million visitors in 2018.
So, yes, you very much should pre-book your Colosseum tickets, to not do so will risk you stuck queueing for hour after hour for much of the year
The Colosseum is open every day of the year, excluding Christmas Day and New Year's Day, and opens at 8.30 AM. Closing times are as follows:
The buttons below will give greater detail on what we offer throughout the year, but it doesn't follow that they're always available ... many are seasonal, some only run on certain days of the week, so please do use our calendar to check availability!
Security checking and queueing:
Heightened security coupled with the recent decision to impose a ceiling on the number of visitors allowed to enter the Colosseum at a given time mean - even with a 'no queues' ticket - that you (and all other visitors) are quite likely to face some sort of delay.
It is now also compulsory to pass through a metal detector - these extra security delays are currently causing often considerable queues that are, unfortunately, affecting ALL ticket holders and you are currently required to arrive well ahead of your visit time - please see this page for latest updates. The authorities have now made it clear that animals (dogs) are not allowed inside the colosseum, so please do not take your pets with you.
Where to go:
The ticket office closes one hour before the Colosseum itself closes, so be there ahead of time if you are visiting late in the day. The Colosseum also closes early on Easter Friday (about 2.00 PM), and closes in the morning of the Festa della Repubblica (2nd June).
How you'll get your tickets:
To reserve tickets for visiting the Colosseum, just fill out the booking form, supply us with credit card details, and we'll do the rest. There will be no charge whatsoever until we confirm your reservation. We'll then point you to our secure page, where you can print out and/or download your entry voucher. As simple as that!
Please be prepared to show some ID - It is sometimes difficult for Italian officials to understand that not all countries require their citizens to carry ID cards, if indeed they are issued in said countries at all. You will often find that nothing other than a Passport or Driving Licence (with photograph) will suffice.
How to download your audioguide:
If you have selected tickets with a downloadable audioguide you will be able to download that and our PDF map at the same time as your tickets (PDF instructions)
Payment and pricing.
At all times we will refer to the full price of your ticket(s), and you will never be charged more than this ... just please be aware that the total charge includes our handling fee (varying between €2.40 and €4.90 per ticket) and that this may not show on the actual voucher. You will arrive with a paid-in-full voucher.
Are there any types of reduced tickets?
If you are opting for 'Gold - fast track' tickets then no. Reduced price 'Gold' colosseum tickets are available to those that qualify.
1. 'Full price' tickets are for (i) ALL non-European citizens aged 18 or over and (ii) for European citizens aged 26 and upwards. See below for a list of countries considered as being European.
2. 'Reduced' tickets are available to European citizens aged 18 to 25 inclusive.
3. 'Complimentary' tickets are available to ANYONE aged between 1 and 17 inclusive. Tickitaly are still charged by the authorities to make this kind of advance reservation, hence the small charge.
4. Babies (under 1) pay nothing, unless they're in a buggy. The authorities in Rome state that if a baby is being carried then they qualify for free entry, irrespective of nationality.
5. Please don't purchase any reduced tickets unless you can show a valid ID from one of the European countries listed below. Please note that a student visa is not sufficient ID. If you cannot show valid ID on the day of your visit then you will be charged full price and be required to pay the difference on the spot.
4.4 stars out of 5 from 1099 ratings. See all 519 reviews