History and visitor information for the Scuderie del Quirinale, Rome

Visitor and background information for the Scuderie del Quirinale, Rome.

This is tickitaly.com's information page for Scuderie del Quirinale, Rome, home to major art exhibitions for much of the year.

Running until the end of July 2017 there's a major exhibition, 'Da Caravaggio a Bernini' - From Caravaggio to Bernini - read more and book tickets for that here.

The Scuderie del Quirinale stands on the remains of the Roman Temple of Serapide on the Quirinal Hill (named after the Roman god Quirinus), facing the Palazzo del Quirinale, the official residence of the President of the Italian Republic. Originally a simple building erected at the start of the eighteenth century, the Scuderie del Quirinale (or the Papal Stables) were redesigned and amplified between 1722 and 1732, first by Alessandro Specchi under the charge of Pope Innocent XIII and then, after a six year interruption following the pope's death, by Ferdinando Fuga under Clement XII.

Some images of the Scuderie del Quirinale, Rome

The building maintained its role of providing stabling until 1938 when it was modified to accommodate motor vehicles rather than horses and carriages.

The Scuderie were opened as a museum and venue for exhibitions after a complete restoration of the building between 1997 and 1999. Renowned architect Gae Aulenti made every effort to retain the original structure and integrity of the building, and the use of travertine marble, oak flooring and lime washed walls results in a splendid collection of open spaces covering nearly 1500 square metres that give an idea of the building's history while providing an ideal setting for the internationally important exhibitions hosted here.

The exhibition space is spread over the second and third floors while a giftshop, bookshop and cafe are to be found on the ground and mezzanine floors. A further attraction is the great window which offers spectacular views over Rome, over the many roofs and church domes (including St Peter's) to the green hills beyond.